Hello members of the Bible Wiki community. Several of you have already heard we've been planning this. After watching a recent video from Wikia's Admin Summit I was inspired to once again re-look at the SEO of this site. Upon researching I was reminded of a scary truth: 91 articles total (not counting duplicates) either did not have links to them , or links from them; that is 15% total of all of our articles!
That's a lot of pages without links,which are critical to SEO. In addition many of our pages contain a lot of unclear wording (I myself am not the most concise writer, so I may partly be at fault) or just don't have clear wording. One thing that often gains you a higher rank on a search engine than other websites is having the first few sentences of your pages answer the questions of the searcher.
All that being said I believe the best way to improve our SEO is to have one concentrated effort where many of these issues are fixed. The most harmful thing is the 15% of articles that aren't linking or being linked to, which should be the priority. Page wording could also be fixed. While one effort won't fix it forever we can develop habits and improve it over the next several weeks. I am working on getting some metrics to measure how successful our SEO improvement is (but this may or may not work).
This is where you the community comes in. SouthWriter and I can't do all of this ourselves. Several of you are very good at maintenance edits, so this is very well fitting up many of your alleys. In addition this can help some of you become comfortable enough with editing to also begin writing on biblical topics. Here is what we need help with (you can also check out this list on Special:Community)
- Adding links to Orphaned Pages, pages without links pointing to them (priority)- this may require adding additional content to accommodate more links
- Adding links to Dead end pages, pages without links to other articles (priority)- this may require adding additional content to accommodate more links
- Adding more links and content to our high SEO ranking pages and other popular pages as well as improving clarity
- Rewording introductions to be clear, concise and answer common questions about the article subject (through declarative sentences)
- Adding descriptions on Category pages (with links to articles) and Images
- Adding additional categories to articles
- Adding links to other articles
While we encourage working on other content, we recommend for those who aren't great at writing or enjoy maintenance to focus a majority of efforts on improving SEO. If there are specific categories needing to be added to certain pages, links, or other mass tasks please message me so that I may run the bot.
Thank you for all your hard work in improving the SEO. This is important in that not only does it grow our ministry audience, but helps Bible Wiki in its mission to present high quality content that glorifies God rather than dismissing Him.
In Christ, Superdadsuper, Bible Wiki Administrator & Bureaucrat